[clug] Anti-Virus Software

Jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Mon Jun 21 22:07:20 MDT 2010

On 22/06/10 1:51 PM, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:
> On 22 June 2010 13:44, Brett Worth<brett at worth.id.au>  wrote:
>
> Yeah, I saw that and was wondering what they were on about.  Is
> running ClamAV on my emails sufficient?  How about the firewall in my
> router?

Depends on who has sign off on what constitutes acceptable "Anti-virus
software."

Isolation of problem computer, as per this quote, is just good practice
and I don't think I've ever heard of a user complaining about it once
they understand what their computer was being used for, eg sending spam,:
             And if their computer did get infected, internet service
providers like Telstra and Optus
              could cut off their connection until the problem was resolved.

Am I the only one to find this quote funny:
           The code of practice would see companies like Telstra give
their customers security advice
           when they signed up and inform them if their computer ever
appeared to be compromised.

or, have I just had too many dealings with large companies/telcos.

Jeff.