[clug] Kobo eBook Reader - followup query

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 19:20:43 MDT 2010

Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 10:23:45 +1000, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
>
>> Your best bet is to use calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) to do the
>> conversions from the other formats to ePub for you.
>
> Alas! Life was not meant to be easy.
>
> "calibre" download says:
>
> You need GLIBC 2.10 or higher to run versions greater than 0.6.29.
>
> I currently have glibc-2.7-1.  While I could probably compile an earlier
> version from the (sourceforge-supplied) source code, I am reluctant to
> deface a clean Debian Lenny setup.  And I am not game to upgrade glibc!
>
> Any other options?  Android tablets can be imported from HongKong; could
> they be configured more easily?

Depends on what you want and how much you want to pay.

Officeworks has some gadgets advertised as e-Readers for < $200;
otherwise Bob found an Android tablet on Deal Extreme for US$99 or the
iPed for US$175 (or US$150 each in lots of >= 50).

If you're wanting a dedicated e-reader with support for more formats,
you can look at getting a Nook from the USA (around AUD$350 IIRC), or
something like an Eco-Reader, etc. from AUD$450 (Dalton's Books, Dymocks
online, Co-op Bookshops, etc.).  The Kobo is still the cheapest
stand-alone e-reader available either directly here or imported AFAIK.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com