[clug] Advice request - "tablet readers" for eBooks

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 02:12:24 MDT 2010

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:03:34 +1000, Ivan Miljenovic wrote:

>>> Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> writes:
>>>

>>> Officeworks have a few more tablet-y kind of e-readers:
>>> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1458451
>>
>> The Officeworks reader are a fraction of the price of the SmartQ.  But
>> they re-enforce my puzzlement (and reason for my initial query).
>>
>> It is unclear to me how <eBooks|packages> get loaded into the
>> Tablet(s).
>
> For the most part, the basically act as external storage devices (USB
> drives, etc.).  Software like Calibre helps you get them into the right
> format for your specific device.
>
>> The SmartQ states that it comes with 3 OSs (Android, Ubuntu and a
>> Windows version) and that it can be used to send emails and edit
>> text-files.  So far, so good. It has a  USB 2.0 HighSpeed OTG port
>> (whatever that means) and the supplied package contains a HDMI cable
>> and a touch pen.
>
> OTG == On-The-Go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Thank you.

I believe the wiki article contains the answer to my puzzlement - when I
manage to understand what it is saying - e.g.:

| Examples of other OTG devices include the Nokia N810 Internet Tablet[5]
| and the Meizu M6 miniPlayer[6] and at least three BenQ optical media
| recorders.[7] Each of these devices can use their OTG support to copy
| files off USB mass storage devices, such as a key drive or many cameras
| and mobile phones. The *N810 Internet Tablet* can also use its ports to
| connect to traditional desktop keyboards and a number of other devices

> My understanding is that the USB port is semi-two way: it acts as a
> storage device when plugged into the computer but its also possible
> for you to plug certain USB devices (keyboards, etc.) into the device
> and have them work.

This is why I worry about buying something from HongKong.  I may end up
with problems in getting the correct plugs/sockets; and then where do I
go?

> Go to a Borders or Angus & Robertson store and have a play with their
>
> Kobos, or see if Officeworks has any demos of their devices.

If there are demos in the stores, that may solve all my problems in one
hit.

I am not wedded to media tablets. Currently, I use FBReader successfully
on my desktop and I had a hunch that it would be simple to copy the
FBReader program and the downloaded books from my desktop to a media
tablet.  A dedicated e-reader looks like a new ballgame.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my queries so fully.

Felix
--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)