[clug] Advice request - "tablet readers" for eBooks

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 21:27:50 MDT 2010

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:31:23 +1000, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com>
> writes:
>
>> I currently (successfully) use FBReader on my computer (Debian Lenny
>> OS); and am widening my horizons by exploring portable "tablet
>> readers".

SNIP

>> "SmartQ V7 MID W1050 Internet Tablet 7 UMPC HDMI 1080P"
>>

> Officeworks have a few more tablet-y kind of e-readers:
> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1458451

The Officeworks reader are a fraction of the price of the SmartQ.  But
they re-enforce my puzzlement (and reason for my initial query).

It is unclear to me how <eBooks|packages> get loaded into the Tablet(s).

The SmartQ states that it comes with 3 OSs (Android, Ubuntu and a Windows
version) and that it can be used to send emails and edit text-files.  So
far, so good. It has a 	USB 2.0 HighSpeed OTG port (whatever that means)
and the supplied package contains a HDMI cable and a touch pen.

But there is no indication that a connection to an external keyboard
exists and it is unclear to me whether the flagged USB port could be used
to plug into in my current (desktop) setup (and thus transfer programs
and data that I now use routinely).

I have little enthusiasm of starting again from Square One in a new
gadget and I would prefer to know what I am buying before I put my money
down.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen