[clug] Advice request - "tablet readers" for eBooks

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 18:01:48 MDT 2010

Michael James <clug3 at james.st> writes:

> On 09/06/2010, at 9:25 AM, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
>> I currently (successfully) use FBReader on my computer (Debian Lenny OS);
>> and am widening my horizons by exploring portable "tablet readers".
>
>> I would welcome comments/advice from CLUGers who have used either of
>> these products (or comparable products that are sold in Australia).
>
> Does anybody know what hardware or software the Kobo uses?

Have a look at the thread on it at Whirlpool or mobileread; I can't
remember what it was but they say what the original device that the Kobo
is a re-badge of is called.

> On the one hand it does nothing but display pages,
>  (no net, touch, annotations, definitions, discussion)
> On the other $199 for a reader ...

One of the Officeworks readers that the whirlpool discussion I linked to
talked about was even cheaper (but of arguably less quality).

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com