[clug] Telstra pre-paid WBB

Lana Brindley lanabrindley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 14:13:33 MDT 2010

On 9 June 2010 00:06, Robert Brockway <robert at timetraveller.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Lana Brindley wrote:
>
>  I just bought a Huaewei K3765 from Vodafone ($89 for the stick, includes
>> 3GB
>> data). While it wasn't exactly plug n play, it worked with the Vodafone
>> Mobile Connect Card Driver from betavine. The software provides the
>> mechanism to switch the stick to modem-mode, and provides an interface
>> that
>> gives you coverage, usage, and all that fun stuff. Perhaps there is a
>> Telstra equivelant?
>>
>> Now if only I could work out how to run a VPN over it, I'd be set ...
>>

> Hi Lana.  What VPN isn't working with the 3G modem?

It's a corporate VPN. I don't have admin access to it, though.

> I've had a problem establishing an OpenVPN connection over a 3G modem...

Because I use the Vodafone Mobile Connect GUI whatsit to connect using the
3G modem, Network Manager doesn't think it's connected. Therefore, when I go
to connect to the VPN (using Network Manager), it has the VPN options greyed
out.

So the answer, I guess, is either to connect to 3G using Network Manager
(which I attempted to do originally, and failed miserably), or work out a
way to connect to the VPN using something other than Network Manager, which
I'm not sure where to start with.

Cheers! Lana

The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.
 - Martin Mull

http://lanabrindley.blogspot.com

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for more
information.