[clug] Telstra pre-paid WBB

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Jun 8 08:06:24 MDT 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010, Lana Brindley wrote:

> I just bought a Huaewei K3765 from Vodafone ($89 for the stick, includes 3GB
> data). While it wasn't exactly plug n play, it worked with the Vodafone
> Mobile Connect Card Driver from betavine. The software provides the
> mechanism to switch the stick to modem-mode, and provides an interface that
> gives you coverage, usage, and all that fun stuff. Perhaps there is a
> Telstra equivelant?
>
> Now if only I could work out how to run a VPN over it, I'd be set ...

Hi Lana.  What VPN isn't working with the 3G modem?

I've had a problem establishing an OpenVPN connection over a 3G modem...

We have 2 VPN options at work (that I set up, so I have full access to the
config on both ends).  These are largely the same except one forces the
default route over the vpn and the other doesn't.  Users may use either
one.

Anyway, I found that I couldn't establish a working VPN when it tried to
set the default route.  This had to do with how pppd reacted when a new
default route was added.  I didn't end up debugging this as I prefer to
use the one without the default route anyway, and no one else in the
company reported the problem, not even the other Linux laptop users.

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440
IRC: Solver (OFTC & Freenode)