[clug] Linux Laptop Machine Compatibility Gold Standard

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Jun 2 09:34:23 MDT 2010

On Mon, 31 May 2010, Brendan Jurd wrote:

> I think "much of a muchness" may apply.  Speaking from my own
> experience, I've owned 2 cheap laptops in the past four years,
> dual-booted both into gentoo and had zero problems between linux and
> the hardware.

That pretty much matches my experience.  I used to worry about Linux
hardware compatibility but over the last few years I'be found it to be
less of a problem.   I installed a fairly recent distro and find few or no
problems with h/w.

One caveat: I don't care at all about video performance.  For people who
do care taking care over the vid card may make sense.

> You don't need to spend big bucks to get a perfectly linux compatible
> laptop (or else I've just been extremely lucky with the selection of
> components in mine).  I wouldn't recommend Compaq, that laptop was
> made out of really poor quality materials.  The Asus is much better.

The lack of a built-in microphone in the last two Toshiba laptops I've had
has been something of a PITA.  I think I'd always go for a built-in
microphone next time.

Cheers,

Rob

--