[clug] [For Sale] Anyone else want an elster reed switch probe?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jun 1 23:28:03 MDT 2010

On 28/05/10 15:40, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 27/05/2010, at 17:22 , Michael Still wrote:
>> I've tracked down a source for reed switch probes to suit the
>> Elster water meter that ACTEW installed on my front lawn. This is
>> interesting because it means that I can now track household water
>> usage just like I do electricity usage.
> Which water meters can we interface with using these probes?
> What sits on the other end of the probe receiving the ticks?

Sorry for the slow reply. I saw a shiny object on the way.

(Bearing in mind I have never seen one of these probes in the flesh).

Elster V100 water meters have a little magnet on the cam inside the 
meter. When the cam does a cycle, the magnet passes near an orifice 
built into the meter. If you have the probe inserted, this will cause a 
reed switch to close, causing a pulse of electricity down the wire.

So, you need an Elster V100 water meter. Send me a picture if you need 
help identifying it.

I am intending to have an arduino derived microcontroller board provide 
power to my probe, and then count the ticks back. This will give me 
water use for my home monitoring system that I talked about at CLUG a 
few months ago. I'd be happy to share the code / hardware design once 
its finished.

I'm going to set a deadline for expressions of interest as this Friday.


More information about the linux mailing list