[clug] Moving the contents of / to a new filesystem on Ubuntu?

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Mon Jul 26 17:48:27 MDT 2010

On 27/07/2010, at 6:58 AM, Craig Small wrote:

> cd /
> tar cf - . | ( cd /newdir ; tar xf - )
>
> I've used that a lot, especially when drives didn't used to be that
> good.  Make the second tar xvf if you want to see what is going on.

I used to use that too but I couldn't work out what it does that cp -a or rsync -aHAX don't (in fact I think rsync -aHAX might even do a more complete job of preservation than tar).  Anyone know the differences?

Actually tar, cp and rsync will probably all need the --one-file-system option too to keep from recursive badness.

	--Ben.