[clug] Moving the contents of / to a new filesystem on Ubuntu?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Jul 26 12:11:24 MDT 2010

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010, Michael Still wrote:

> Is there a nice tool in Ubuntu which will support moving the contents of / to
> this file system without a reinstall? I could do it manually, but its fiddly
> to do while remote from the machine, which I will be for the next 10 days.

Hi Michael.  If you boot off a live cdrom you can move data around,
repartition & remap the bootloader with a minimum of pain.  You'll just
need someone close to the system (remote hands) to pop the cdrom in and
out as required.

Dump & tar are both fine tools to move the data.   Dump has a bit of a bad
name in the Linux world but it is fine on filesystems that are not being
actively written to.

I would stay away from dd.  In this context it is normally used to move
filesystems not files.  This is a very rigid way of moving the data around
and adds complication.  Eg if you put it on a larger partition you will
need to grew the filesystem.  If you put it on a smaller partition you
would need to shrink it, which might not even be feasible.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440