[clug] Moving the contents of / to a new filesystem on Ubuntu?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Jul 26 08:10:59 MDT 2010

Hi.

I don't spend a lot of time doing really low level disk admin these
days, so I apologize for the noob question.

I have a root file system at home on a disk which is failing. I also
have a RAID file system on this machine on disks which aren't failing [1].

Is there a nice tool in Ubuntu which will support moving the contents of
/ to this file system without a reinstall? I could do it manually, but
its fiddly to do while remote from the machine, which I will be for the
next 10 days.

Thanks,
Mikal

1: Pairs of software RAID mirrored disks, concatenated with LVM if that
matters.