[clug] monitoring number of updates available on, debian/ubuntu

Scott Ferguson prettyfly.productions at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 20:22:32 MDT 2010

 On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:05:00 +1000 Carlo Hamalainen
<carlo.hamalainen at gmail.com> wrote:
> To: jeff <jeffm at ghostgun.com>, CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Re: [clug] monitoring number of updates available on
> 	debian/ubuntu
>
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM, jeff <jeffm at ghostgun.com> wrote:
>> > ?I'm looking for a means to tell how many packages, if any, are available to
>> > be installed on a debian based system.
> Just wanted to add to this thread a one liner from my bashrc which is
> somewhat relevant:
>
> alias aptitudesecurityupdates='sudo aptitude safe-upgrade -t
> `lsb_release -cs`-security'
>
> This installs just security updates. I try to avoid upgrading anything
> unnecessary on my production systems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Carlo Hamalainen http://carlo-hamalainen.net

If you are interested in reducing the amount of "unnecessary" package
upgrades....

/etc/apt/apt.conf
// Recommends are as of now still abused in many packages
APT::Install-Recommends "0";
APT::Install-Suggests "0";
APT::Default-Release "your_release_here";

Cheers