[clug] Is there a standard USB to serial protocol?

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Tue Jul 20 04:19:18 MDT 2010

On 20/07/2010, at 4:34 PM, jeff wrote:

> Just an idle query. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a standard protocol for serial over USB similar to the concept of  the standard USB storage protocol which eliminates the need for third party drivers?

The defined USB classes are listed over at [1] (with a bunch of subclasses defined in documents found at [2]).  Nothing for usb->serial however, interestingly, usb modems are standardised by the CDC (communication device class).  I guess a usb->serial could be implemented as a "null" CDC but afaik none are.

	--Ben.

[1] http://www.usb.org/developers/defined_class
[2] http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs