[clug] monitoring number of updates available on debian/ubuntu

jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Mon Jul 19 23:19:34 MDT 2010

  On 20/07/10 3:12 PM, Jeremy Kerr wrote:

> The '0 packages..' data is added by a cron script, which essentially
> does a:
>
>   /usr/lib/update-notifier/apt_check.py --human-readable
>
> This script is provided by the update-notifier-common package, but I
> have a feeling this may be Ubuntu specific. It just uses the python
> apt_pkg library to grab the number of updates, so should be fairly easy
> to adapt to what you want to do.

Thanks. That's a great help. I knew it couldn't be too difficult as
there are many others who have their monitoring systems watching this.
It's very frustrating when you know that there's an obvious answer just
out of reach. I'll just have to either wrap it in another script to spit
out the correct format or use this as the basis of another script.

thanks,
Jeff.