[clug] monitoring number of updates available on debian/ubuntu

jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Mon Jul 19 22:58:49 MDT 2010

  I'm looking for a means to tell how many packages, if any, are
available to be installed on a debian based system. I've done some
searching but haven't come across anything so it's either not easy to
find or I'm not looking in the right places. This is for use in a
monitoring system so that it can warn someone that they need to check
the available updates and install as needed. To put it another way I'm
looking for the debian equivalent of "yum check-update". A full blown
script would be much appreciated if you happen to have such a beast
lying around :-).

Jeff.