[clug] Building modules

Brett Wheeler Brett.Wheeler at daramalan.act.edu.au
Tue Jul 13 05:14:25 MDT 2010

First thing... I'm a noob, please be gentle with me.

I have been given the task of compiling a module (network driver) for our imaging software. The version of Linux that runs under PXE is a cutdown version of SLES (or so I'm told) and I can't compile it there.

I have a couple of questions that may help me.

I've been told that I must use the *exact* same version of the kernel, should it matter which distro I have running? Could I use openSuse to build the module?

Are there any tricks to back-reving the kernel?

I tried to go from 2.6.27.45-0.1.1 back to 2.6.27.29-0.1 using a file from www.kernel.org. It look to be working, the module compiled without error, but when I went to load it, with modprobe, I received an error "FATAL: Error inserting atl1e (/lib/modules/2.6.27.29-0.1-default/initrd/atl1e.ko): invalid module format". I've read that is most likely due to having the incorrect source on the system.

Brett Wheeler
Computer Support
Daramalan College
Dickson ACT 2602
brett.wheelerATdaramalan.act.edu.au

* Only the good die young, *
* I love imortality. *
CONFIDENTIALITY & PRIVILEGE NOTICE

This email is intended for the use of the addressed recipient(s) only and may contain confidential and privileged information.

If you have received this message in error please: - do not read, disclose, save, copy or forward it with any attachments; - delete the message and any attachments and copies immediately; - notify the sender by return email of the error.

The permission of the sender must be sought prior to this email being forwarded to any third party. It is the recipient's responsibility to scan for viruses or to detect any defect in this email.

Daramalan College accepts no responsibility for any damage caused by this message. Any views expressed in this message or in any attachments are those of the individual sender.