[clug] j2me open source encryption options?

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Wed Jul 7 00:52:16 MDT 2010

All

For storing passwords and various other records on Nokia Symbian phones (yes
I know we could have much more capable open phones, but for now neither Bob
or I do) I have been trying out a bunch of the j2me apps.

The one I found with the most obvious source code availability (though no
obvious licence alas, apart from the claim of no cover, etc) is Pocket
Protector http://www.eaves.org/jon/j2me/pocket.shtml

This code was released in 2002 sometime.

pretty simple. It works and the encryption code is available from
http://www.bouncycastle.org/

However we wish to be able to back up the record stores and view them on a
linux machine, the code uses the j2me RecordStore code and looking around
the web that is stored internally in a few possible locations on the phone
memory.

However when I try bluetooth browsing the phone memory non of those possible
locations are visible.

So does anyone know of a j2me compatible application to encrypt
notes or similar (which would be al we really need) that has an easily
accessed store for the encrypted notes for backup/off phone usage.

I thought it best to ask first before writing code to do what we want.

Cheers

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
we are made to bleed, and scab and heal and bleed again