[clug] /dev/snd permissions

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun Jul 4 20:32:39 MDT 2010

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> writes:
> On 04/07/2010, at 22:13 , Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> Usually, though, you can also add a user account to the 'audio' group to
>> statically allow access to the sound devices, since they are conventionally
>> shoved into that.
>>
>> Finally, failing anything else you can adjust / write udev rules to override
>> the system default permissions.
>
> And you can also replace trampoline legs with fold up chairs, cut the side
> out of the entertainment unit so the new TV will fit in, or replace the
> fallen-off handles of cooking equipment with vice-grips. But then your
> Fedora installation would belong on "There, I fixed it" and not the Canberra
> Linux Users Group mailing list :P
>
> As Scotty would say, "use the right tool for the right job!"

Hey, I strongly suspect that it already /does/ belong to "There, I fixed it",
since an out-of-the-box Fedora 13 install should be getting this right...

That said, I am not sure I see the problem giving the extra options to the OP
in this case, since it might be the case that they are trying to do something
that isn't covered by the ConsoleKit / udev ACL managed option like run MPD or
something like that.

        Daniel

Actually, it also occurs to me that the answer might be "use PulseAudio",
since I have no idea how Fedora approached integration with that, but IIRC
they did use it as the core sound system and all.