[clug] ADSL modem recommendations

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Fri Jan 22 16:14:58 MST 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Keith Goggin wrote:

>> Currently I'm looking at getting a DLink RT-N16 which can run OpenWRT, and
>> has everything I need except ADSL 2+, it consumes around 7W (although
>> hacking may bring this down - many devices use linear regulators internally
>> which bleed the extra power off as heat - swapping to a switchmode plugpack
>> of the appropriate voltage can save significant power), costs around $140
>> on
>> Ebay and provides 802.11n as well as a couple of USB 2.0 ports (which I
>> need
>> to make it into a 6LoWPAN router).
>>
> Assuming this is always on 7Watts x 24Hours x 365Days =  61.32 kwh per annum
>
> 61.32 kwh @ say 15 cents per kwh = $9.20 per annum
>
> Assuming the ~$140 replacement plugpack will save you 50% of energy cost
>
> Is it really worth it?

I think you fell into the "run-on-sentence-contains-too-much punctuation"
trap that Alastair cunningly set.  He was saying that the router cost
$140, not the plugpack :-)  Switch-mode power supplies are not expensive;
your phone handset charger is probably switch-mode.

Oceancontrols are not known for their hyper-cheap prices, but there are
some switch-mode power packs here for ~$30:

http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/power_supplies/plug_packs.htm#PowerPrices

that's still not in the "just order a replacement, you will get your money
back in short order".

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.