[clug] ADSL modem recommendations

Alastair D'Silva alastair at newmillennium.net.au
Thu Jan 21 16:08:45 MST 2010

Hi folks,

Its time to get rid of my retarded Asus DSL-N13 router (emergency unit while
another router was off for servicing) and switch to something that can
actually NAT properly.

While the N13 runs Linux, the NAT on board is broken, such that I cannot
access virtual servers exposed to the outside world from the internet
network (which sucks for trying to access my email).

I've got a few requirements for a new router:

1. Must have a community based Linux distro
2. Must have 802.11n support
3. Must have ADSL2+ support
4. Must have USB ports (I intend to use it as an 802.15.4 gateway too)
5. Preferably, it would enough RAM on board to run misterhouse

My alternative is to build a mini-itx based machine, but I would rather keep
power consumption as low as possible, so this is the least preferred
solution.

Cheers

--
Alastair D'Silva           mob: 0423 762 819
Networking Consultant      fax: 0413 181 661
skype: alastair_dsilva     msn: alastair at d-silva.org
blog: http://alastair.d-silva.org