[clug] Canon 4000 printer - further followup

Felix Karpfen felix at spodzone.org.uk
Sun Jan 17 02:30:39 MST 2010

My (temperamental) newsreader has swallowed the latest posting from Jeff
Stiff.  So  I have to start a new thread.

Here it is :

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 13:26:25 +1100
Jeff Stiff <smee.heee at gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue may still be with CUPS.  This is just based on what advice
> has so far been given.  Are the CUPS versions, and the printer
> definition file versons the same on both your machines,

The Puppy Linux version of CUPS is CUPS 1.1.x; the Debian version is
CUPS 1.3.x.  The other entries are identical (because I made them
identical during the install).

I have difficulty in accepting that the problem is due to recent
changes in CUPS, given that my error has reportedly scored *many* entries
in Google (which I have not checked!)

If I had started out with Puppy Linux, I would love it.  It offers
acceptable packages for many of the tasks for which I use a computer.
But they are not the packages that *I* use and switching to new
packages is always a hassle.

My Puppy Linux install gave me a file system layout that is not the
standard Linux arrangement.  So I cannot easily find what I have and
what I do not have.  Many tools that I use routinely (e.g. mc; locate;
recoll) are not available. Also finding and importing missing packages
into Puppy Linux is a PITA; most of the ones that I want are not (yet?)
available.

On balance, Puppy Linux does not offer enough to wean me from Debian.
The fact that it recognises the Canon printer is cold comfort.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)