[clug] Packet radio

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Sat Jan 16 07:45:03 MST 2010

It really depends what your interest in Radio Frequency (RF) pertains to
as what sort of equipment one should strive for.

Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) tends to be the best approach for learning
stuff, sure an IC7800 will do everything for you pre-packaged with its
own embedded proprietary controllers, but I'm not sure if that is your goal.

Define your goals and work from there.

For digital modes it is important you can directly access the modulator
without any pre-emphasis or narrow filters, which is generally bad for
digital communications.

I ran AX25 packet for about 15 years but the solid (reliable)
communications speeds we could achieve in standard channels (1200/4800 &
9600 baud) were eclipsed by wired (dialup & ADSL) and 802.11x WiFi
communications.

BTW simpler radios do tend to keep their value in dollar terms while the
all singing ones depreciate more quickly.

Cheers
Neil VK1NP