[clug] Which to go for?

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Sat Jan 16 02:51:20 MST 2010

On 16/01/2010, at 8:44 PM, Ishwor Gurung wrote:

> 2010/1/16 Ben Nizette <bn at niasdigital.com>:
>>
>> On 16/01/2010, at 7:20 PM, Ishwor Gurung wrote:
>>
>>> Hehe

>>> Isn't that uClinux or sth he's talking about rather than linux?
>>
>> Full kernel.org kernel, just a fairly cut-back configuration.  As mentioned in other mails, the allmodconfig numbers are probably closer to what you can expect for a distro-standard x86 kernel.
>
> Wow! That's pretty interesting. What did you cut out?

Mostly just drivers, all the core functionality is there.  Oh, and filesystems, I've got got the ext4 driver (which also mounts my ext[23] volumes), NFS client/server, JFFS2 and UBIFS though VFAT and ISO9660 could be added without much penalty.

On my embedded system I know what devices I have and what I need to compile; distros have to compile /everything/ including all the really bit graphics and storage drivers and most of the obscure filesystems.

	--Ben.