[clug] ACPI/throttling problems: what have I missed?

Adam Baxter voltagex at voltagex.org
Sat Jan 16 00:32:11 MST 2010

I recently compiled my own kernels for my i7 machine and my Dell Mini 9.
Both exhibit the same odd problem - no userspace CPU throttling control.
This is more a concern on the mini 9, so I'll attempt to troubleshoot that
first.

voltagex at minime:~$ uname -a
Linux minime 2.6.32.3 #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 14 22:07:45 EST 2010 i686
GNU/Linux

voltagex at minime:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
performance

voltagex at minime:~$ cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
acpi-cpufreq

Then when I change the governor to "conservative", yacpi reports:

CPU governor: conservative
CPU frequency: 1600/1600 MHz

It also reports the battery as [0%] no matter what it actually is.

I'm not even sure where to start. I'm sure I selected all the ACPI/Speedstep
features in menuconfig, although a lot it would only select as modules.
Where do I start looking, or what other output do you guys need me to post?

--Adam