[clug] SATA-1 SATA-2 Compatibility

Alan Vidler avidler at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 12 01:57:54 MST 2010

On 12/01/2010 11:34 AM Andrew Janke sent:
>> I've never used SATA in a home machine before and all the systems at work come with
>> matching drives.  All the TB+ drives I see for sale online are SATA-2 so my question is:
>> Would a SATA-2 disk work with a SATA-1 interface?
>
> Yes, all SATA-II drives are supposed to be backwards compatible.  Some
> however require you to set a jumper to force them to drop back to
> 1.5Gbp/s.

... and a mild 'beware':
A Seagate 500GB SATA-2 drive I purchased about a year ago and put
in my SATA-2 capable machine came with that jumper installed by
default. Still worked, but at SATA-1 speeds until I noticed on
a 2nd one I got some time later...

Alan V