[clug] 'Rip!' on SBS, last Tuesday night

Ric de France rdefrance at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 17:26:12 MST 2010

Alex,

2010/1/11 Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au>

> On 11/01/2010, at 10:59 , Ric de France wrote:
>
> > At the end of the day, is the original concept of copyright good? Yep -
> well
> > I believe so - feed the starving artists so they can produce more good
> > music, pictures, art, etc.
>
> The best way to support starving artists is to attend their exhibitions or
> purchase their works.
>
> Copying a work of art is your way of saying, "this is good enough for my
> collection, but not good enough to encourage the artist to produce more."
>
> You don't need copyright to help artists, you need sponsors.  To get
> sponsors you need to raise the awareness of the community at large of the
> artistic process - exactly how much work goes into producing those songs you
> download as MP3s?  Who gets the money when you buy a CD?  Who gets the money
> when you buy a song from iTMS?  Who gets the money when you go to a concert?
>
> Cutting copyright back down to 7 years is more than enough to encourage
> artists, and discourage corporations holding the culture of the 21st century
> hostage.  What need is more cultural awareness, not more laws.

I believe the model you've suggested has worked very well for many years
(especially during the renaissance) - having a wealthy patron. The problem
with that is most patrons (not all) do not release the artists works for the
public to enjoy.

...Ric
--
Ric de France
Ph: +61412945554 (international) or 0412945554 (Australia)