[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Fri Jan 8 21:26:45 MST 2010

On Saturday 09 Jan 2010 06:00:05 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:42:51 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk>
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [clug] Printer supplies - advice sought
>
> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:35:32 +1100, Brians wrote:
> >
> > 1) Some printers are better supported by linux and in my experience HP
> > is one.
>
> I consider that the HP software packages (which work in a Linux
> environment) to be just great.
>
> But I have problems with the hardware,
>
> I would gladly pay more money for a printer that is more robust.  But the
> extra money just appears to buy extra features (fax machine; copier; huge
> print volume [laser printer]) that I neither need nor want. I would even
> cheerfully forego the multi-colour feature, if I could find an inkjet
> printer that runs with only a black cartridge.  I now use the CUPS
> software to tell the printer to ignore its colour cartridge.

The long superceded Canon 4000 series have all the features you seek -
vertical paper feed, single large black cartridge etc and are old enough to
have a Linux driver, but like most inkjets are inclined to clog up.  These are
throw-away items amongst the shutterbugs because they have neither the
resolution nor specialty photo inks needed for good photos.

> I am starting to regret that I threw out my old Epson impact printer; it
> was built like a tank!  In its day, the printer ribbons cost $10!  And it
> had a vertical sheet-feeder!
>
> > 4) Getting ethernet & Postscript usually means a getting a slightly more
> > expensive printer and it is usually better built and has better paper
> > handling so generally less problems.
>
> To me, these seem just more features that I will never use.  And I would
> probably tie myself in knots while learning how to configure such a
> printer.

ethernet is useful mainly if more than one computer shares the printer.
Configuring it is not difficult.  Some of the installers will find such a
printer automatically and all you need to do is change the paper size from
"letter".

CUPS will let you configure a non-existent printer if you want to check it
out.

> Felix Karpfen
> --
> Felix Karpfen