[clug] HP netbooks @ Myers in Belconnen

Rodney Peters rodneyp at pcug.org.au
Fri Jan 1 14:13:29 MST 2010

On Saturday 02 January 2010 06:00:03 linux-request at lists.samba.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 01 Jan 2010 16:30:50 +1100
> From: steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>
> To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [clug] HP netbooks @ Myers in Belconnen
>
> Myers at Belconnen has 2 HP mini Netbooks for sale if anyone is in the
> market. Old models, but you'd expect warranty.
>
> $349 1109TU - Atom N270 1.6Ghz, 1Gb RAM, *60*GB drive, black
> IIRC $399 1118TU - N270, 1GB, 80GB drive, *red*
>
> No idea of battery life/size.
>
> I believe displays are 10.1", 1024x600. Intel GMA 950 (perhaps)

I researched these a little, a month ago, when JB HiFi were clearing out the Linux model for ~$400.  HP's specs put the screen resolution at 1024 x 576.  I gather that HP had a customised version of Linux on it.  A little exploration got it to reveal that the installed system was "hardy" Ubuntu.
The Linux variant (only, it appears) had a 16 G SSHD.  All the Windows variants had HDD.
Hardy is a bit dated and that resolution was not supported in my preferred distro - openSUSE.  The resolution may well be supported by X, but it's a while since I installed a generic X.
> Why didn't I buy one of them?
>
> I'd probably end up not using it very much :-(
> There are a few pieces on the Net about problems in usability and
> robustness... Not to mention, wee-beaties go more than a little slowly..
>
> Compared to current model, not a "great" deal - good, but not great.
>
> RRP $599 for HP Mini 110-1157TU PC
>  + Atom N280 1.66 GHz, 512 KB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB (vs 533 for N270)
>  + 250 GB 5400 rpm drive
>
> Hope this is useful to someone :-)

Rod