[clug] Linux compatible external Thermometer

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Mon Feb 22 23:10:10 MST 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Paul wrote:

> just as a hobby I would like to start measure the outside/inside temps and I
> would be interested if anyone has used some sort serial or USB thermometer
> on there Linux box?
> Note preferably a cheaper device ie around $20

I enjoy using various cheap USB devices for this.  Easy to get working.

e.g.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Laptop-PC-USB-Thermometer-Measure-Temperature-Data-Log_W0QQitemZ330388178644QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Components?hash=item4cecab86d4

Unfortunately, they never appear to have a serial number, so there's no
*absolutely* reliable way to ensure you don't get multiple devices out of
order on the one machine.

> Paul

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.