[clug] Python & databases

Jason j.lee.nielsen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:41:41 MST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:30:47 +1100, Hal Ashburner <hal.ashburner at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm playing with some python code that needs to connect to a database.
> Ideally I'd like to be able to use differing database back ends with the
> same application. I don't want to use sql alchemy and all it's ORM stuff.

I don't know how much you have looked at sqlAlchemy, personally I mostly use the ORM side of it but it has a lower level interface that still makes use of its database independence, have a poke around http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/sqlexpression.html and see if its doing what you want there.

> Thanks for any thoughts or pointers on where better to ask if not here.
> Hal

There are a lot of python lists out there, of the ones I watch the nzpug and the Melbourne pug are the two most active. There are up coming python conferences this year both in Australia and New Zealand so it feels like the community is starting to grow and become more interactive with each other.

Jason