[clug] Connecting a printer to Suse 11.1

Paul Leopardi paul.leopardi at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 22 14:42:03 MST 2010

> I have recently got Suse 11.1 up and running on new hardware - with
> more than a little help from my friends - but have been unable to get it to
> work with my Fujitsu DL1150 printer.  Advice received was that I should
> browse to http://localhost:631 and follow instructions therein.  I did so
> but what I got was a screenful of html code - apparently what I found there
> was being displayed rather than rendered.  However I did a copy paste of
> that code and saved it in my temp directory with a .htm suffix and then
> opened it successfully from there - i.e. it did display as graphics, the
> html code having been duly converted.  But that was no use of itself
> because it was missing a large number of links which had presumably been
> left behind in 'localhost'. Seems to me the solution would be to go back
> there, add a .htm suffix to whatever I find and then run it from there -
> but could anyone tell me where to find 'there' please?

Keith,
See http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L274 for instructions on the web
interface, and  http://www.cups.org/documentation.php for the Cups
documentation. The 'there' directory should be /usr/share/doc/packages/cups/
or /usr/share/cups/doc-root/
See
http://www.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/opensuse/updates/11.1/x86_64/cups-1.3.9-7.6.1.x86_64.html
for the first directory. The second one is what I have on my Kubuntu 8.04
system.
Best, Paul

--
Paul C. Leopardi