[clug] Python & databases

Hal Ashburner hal.ashburner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 23:30:47 MST 2010

I'm playing with some python code that needs to connect to a database.
Ideally I'd like to be able to use differing database back ends with the
same application. I don't want to use sql alchemy and all it's ORM stuff.
Has anyone done this kind of thing in python? The dbapi2 stuff seems
fairly backend specific.
What's the best option? define an interface then program to it for each
back end you want to support?
Is ODBC a remotely reasonable option?
I have an sqlite back end, I now want postgres, might want something
else down the track too. The python code needs to be platform independent.

Thanks for any thoughts or pointers on where better to ask if not here.
Hal