[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 22:06:52 MST 2010

On 22 February 2010 15:52, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Brendan Jurd <direvus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mind you, I think it would be totally brilliant if, in analogy to the
>> Rosetta Stone, someone took the time to make metal plaques
>> demonstrating modern data storage methods, encodings and filesystems.
>
> A bit like this?
> http://blog.longnow.org/2009/05/21/what-13500-pages-micro-etched-into-nickel-looks-like/

That is so awesome it hurts, but if I'm understanding the article
correctly it is exactly an expanded version of the Rosetta Stone; that
is, it provides a comparison between written languages.

Unfortunately it doesn't address the problem of getting data off
modern storage media, which is what I was getting at.  Although it
would be invaluable as a reference for making sense of data once it
was successfully decoded.

This Rosetta Disk should be complemented by another disk that explains
how we write data to our media, so it would need to explain magnetic
and optical storage techniques, as well as ASCII, UTF, base64 and
friends, as well as FAT, ext{2,3,4}, reiserfs, jfs, xfs, and so on.