[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Brians brians at en.com.au
Sun Feb 21 19:47:40 MST 2010

Steve,
This raises interesting questions.

I have a fruit box of 8" floppy disks, various boxes of old obsolete
magnetic tapes etc

All of which are not much good without  the media reader but more
importantly
the O/S, application software and user knowledge to read them.

It has been noted that several old copies of the original Gutenberg
Bible still exist and they are still human readable.

So I guess the two big problems are:

1) How can I keep "my" digital data safe and alive in the scenario below

2) What data would I like off the Internet if I thought it was going to
switch off /decay sometime soon?

I note that you can get a "School" copy of wikipedia on DVD or for download
every couple of years.

I guess a concrete example to work on would be has anyone downloaded the
latest DVD version of the wikipedia
and put it on there own internal server and tried to maintain it for
several years or actually forever
given the scenario below.

Brian