[clug] Keeping Data Alive

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Sun Feb 21 21:10:47 MST 2010

These are the short of things that may lead to virtualisation being big
not just hypervisor/paravirtualisation, but rather emulation. Faking the
old hardware so that the old OSes can be used to view old data stuck in
legacy file formats only readable by the old applications which only run
on the old OS on the old H/W. The really interesting bit (read
difficult) is not faking the running platform but faking the I/O. I
heard a while ago that tidbinbilla radio telescope replaced its PDP-11
with an industrial computer which faked the PDP hardware to run the
required apps (written in forth?), and went so far as to have an ISA
board to mate to the telescope to control it. Unfortunately, I don't
have any links/references to verify how correct this is. Anyway, you can
imagine that with the pahsing ou of ISA buses in favour of various forms
PCI buses that, unless there have changed again, that they must have
been stock piling "old" PCs just in case something failed.

Jeff.