[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Feb 18 16:01:05 MST 2010

Chris Smart wrote:
> <snip>
> This is where part of my questions arise. Quite simply, I'm sick and
> tired of pushing for free software at my work, with friends and
> colleagues. It's so exhausting. Hence why I raise this topic on the
> CLUG list, to get some other people's insights into what my attitude
> should be.

Pick your fight. No, seriously, pick your fight. As much as it hurts me
to say it, there is the right tool for the job. For some people, it's
MS. For others, it's FOSS. For others again, it's Apple <shudder>.

I was banging my head against the MS camps for a longtime, until I
decided to pick my battles. When the current site rolled out exchange, I
built up a box with Mailman, dovecot and squirrelmail on it on the
quiet. As requests rolled in for moderated mailing lists with archive
functionality, I pointed the admin at mailman. As requests came in for
IMAP/POP3 accounts, I pointed them at dovecot and squirrelmail. This
started out on a VM, after about a month a machine was removed from the
exchange cluster and allocated to the mailman/dovecot/squirrelmail
service, and it's now handling mail for the CEO, who prefers to use
something other than outlook for his email. He doesn't care that the
system he's got his mail on runs linux. What he cares about is that
there's a system there that allows him to use what he wants.

When they built sharepoint, I built up a linux box, put Confluence on
it, and waited for the powerusers to get sick of the Word-in-a-browser
editor MOSS calls a Wiki. 4 weeks later, confluence was integrated with
sharepoint and replaced the normal page editor + wiki functionality with
something people can understand and use.

I built the the webteam a subversion / trac instance under the radar for
them to do some basic VCS/knowledge tracking, and slowly got them used
to using it. The webteam merged with the "big-iron" IS team, who have
been using Visual Source Safe. Now, the IS team want to start using SVN
/ Trac and move away from VSS, because the first combination suits their
wants more than the second tool does.

Pick your fights to show people what opensource is, and then, slowly,
people will want to look at more and more.

--
--==--
Steve Walsh, RHCE