[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Feb 18 04:29:48 MST 2010

On 02/18/2010 10:06 PM, Paul Wayper wrote:
> <snip>  Simon Hackett is talking about going to Microsoft Exchange not
> because he wants to support Microsoft, but because he  wants to fire
> up a bunch of developers and companies out there to say "here's your
> lost business opportunity - come and get it back!". If it was anything
> else it would be a completely different write-up.

Sorry, but no. Simon has a history of saying what he thinks. If this is
really what he was thinking, he would have said it *before* they went to
exchange as an ultimatum "make this work, or we're going to exchange".

They've just spent $ZOMG money deploying Exchange, they're not going to
throw it away by then issuing a challenge out to the developers to make
the old system they've just replaced suddenly do what they originally
wanted it to do, just so they can go through the pain of migrating
*back* to the old system.

Believe it or not, migrating mail systems is painful for everyone. It's
painful for the admins who need to maintain both systems, it's painful
for the architects who need to deal with the edge cases that break the
migration tools, it's painful for the users who need to work out a whole
new client and, sometimes, new way of thinking. It's painful for the
management, who need to keep everyone happy and sane. You don't go
through that pain, just to say "yay! we motivated someone to fix it" and
turn around to do it all over again.

--
--==--
Steve Walsh, RHCE