[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 01:31:13 MST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Karun Dambiec <karun at linux.com> wrote:

> I do not see anything wrong with Microsoft and vendors competing in the
> market fairly using the same open format, rather than vendor lockin.

Which was precisely my argument during the OOXML standardisation
debate. If a vendor truly believes that their product is the best tool
for the job, let them promote and demonstrate it as such rather than
try to create their own version of a format standard. To be a little
less abstract, I mean that Microsoft could have adopted the ODF format
and declared that they would implement it better than anyone else and
set about selling that user experience based on their belief in the
excellence of their software. That they fought tooth and nail to not
do so tells me that they lack confidence in the quality of their
software.

--
MC