[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Feb 16 22:51:09 MST 2010

On 17/02/2010, at 15:00 , Chris Smart wrote:

> So are we fighting against Microsoft, or aren't we?

No, we're not fighting Microsoft.  Or at least the "we" that contains *me* is not.

What Free Software has been about since Richard Stallman first had his encounter with that printer in that lab, has been about providing an option for people who don't want to live at the mercy of "them".

By definition, Free Software is only relevant to technically literate people who are prepared to dig into the code of a particular printer driver to add custom features such as notifying a user that their print job has finished, or alerting all logged in users that the printer has jammed.

For me, Free Software as embodied by Linux is about the promise of having an ADSL router that can cope with my typical Internet usage pattern for more than an hour without crashing.

Alex