[clug] Using speedier public DNS for Internet browsing?

Tom.Minchin at csiro.au Tom.Minchin at csiro.au
Tue Feb 16 17:34:24 MST 2010

I haven't any experience with namebench.

However on using non-localised DNS, one thing you will find that using DNS resolvers not from your ISP is that any local content redirection may stop working (eg unmetered content which uses the ISP's DNS resolvers to connect you to will not longer work).

If you use Google's then you'll find that Content Distribution Networks such as Akamai will also get confused and start giving you US sites to download rather than local Australian ones. Google has responded to this criticism by putting in an RFC to modify DNS... This too may give you grief with previously unmetered CDN content becoming metered.