[clug] Internode dumps FOSS for MS Exchange [SEC=PERSONAL]

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Mon Feb 15 21:35:52 MST 2010

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 15:01:03 +1100
"Roppola, Antti - ABARE/BRS" <Antti.Roppola at daff.gov.au> wrote:

> Paul Ramsey's keynote at FOSS4G 2009 was very thought provoking with
> the whole "product" thing. To translate, Outlook is popular in that
> it is not just software, it is actually a product (and quite a good
> one at that). It's a known quantity, of quite reasonable quality and
> can be expected to work with iPhones or whatever other executive toy
> of the moment needs to be supported.

Yes, I think people underestimate just how much work integration can
be. Especially if you're stuck in the situation of having to connect
to other proprietary systems.

People on this mailing list may not be aware of this, but Internode do
have some cluey open source people working for them and I doubt its a
decision they would have made lightly. They have for a long time been
very open source friendly (eg. never had to lie to them about what OS
you are running when wanting support)

Chris
cyeoh at ozlabs.org