[clug] Logrotate not rotating a log?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Feb 15 19:27:37 MST 2010

Perhaps I'm being a little impatient, but if I've got logrotate configured to rotate a particular log file weekly, and the log file as it exists was created over six months ago, shouldn't logrotate actually rotate the log file when I run "logrotate -v /etc/logrotate.conf"?

Here's the logrotate.d/mything config:

/var/log/apache2/sites/mything/*.log {
	weekly
	missingok
	rotate 52
	compress
	delaycompress
	notifempty
	create 640 root adm
	sharedscripts
	postrotate
		if [ -f "`. /etc/apache2/envvars ; echo ${APACHE_PID_FILE:-/var/run/apache2.pid}`" ]; then
			/etc/init.d/apache2 reload > /dev/null
		fi
	endscript
}

When I added "size 100M" to this config, the log was rotated on the spot (it was about 500MB long at the time).

Curious as to whether logrotate was storing timestamps, and only rotating after a particular file had been seen by logrotate for longer than a certain period, I did have a look around but couldn't see any files left around by logrotate in /var/run or /var/cache.

Alex