[clug] OT: very short term wifi broadband?

Ben Coughlan ben.coughlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 19:19:31 MST 2010

On 14/02/2010, at 9:42 AM, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I wanted to get wifi broadband for my laptop and wanted just one
> month's access, what would my options be? Most plans I looked at
> involved 12 month contracts or exit fees.

I recently bought a modem from Optus on a 12 month plan.  $200 gives me 12GB spread over 12 months, and the modem.  It's an interesting plan, but way more appropriate than a 1GB/month deal.

They also had some pretty good pre-paid plans which might suit you better, but you're still looking at $100+ for the modem.

> For the short term would it be easier/cheaper to just tether to a
> mobile phone via bluetooth? I haven't done this before so I'm not sure
> if it's feasible or usable for normal web browsing (checking mail
> etc).

I used to do this regularly with a Nokia E65 on Three.  It works just as well as any dongle would.  But the experience varies greatly between phones and carriers.

Ben