[clug] Electric vehicles [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Davis, Ron Ron.Davis at dva.gov.au
Sun Feb 7 23:13:33 MST 2010

Steve Jenkin commented:
There are two massive 'gotchas' in building anything "road legal":
 - Australian Design Rule (ADR) compliance,
 - cost of building prototypes is proportional to size of vehicle

=> Embrace the classic Open-Source 'stealth mode' model and avoid these
problems...
[For example, 'gophers'/mobility scooters can do 10 kph on footpaths. No
license or rego. BUT only alllowed on roads if no footpath. Single seat,
110kg limit, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah]

Rules vary between States. NSW & ACT differ... Don't have good links :-(
<http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/otherinformation/scootersminibik
es.html>

NSW-RTA PDF on ADR's
<http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_07_-_australia
n_design_rules_nov_2007.pdf>

I recall some tabloid TV show reported in 2008/9 about a guy trying to
import (from Europe?) a nifty 3-wheel electric thingy. It was stuck in
Customs because in Oz it's classified as a car and needed ADR
compliance...

Yes, I had this problem too, when I was importing a Segway
(www.segway.com).
Difficult to convince the Dept of Transport that a vehicle with no
brakes (in the conventional sense) could possibly be safe. :)

Got an import permit in the end however.

The Segway is a fine example of how things "should work."
I've taught dozens of people to ride one in only a few minutes, it is
completely intuitive.

Cheers