[clug] [OT] quest for keyboards

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Mon Feb 1 15:30:58 MST 2010

Andreas Bauer wrote:
> So, what keyboards can you recommend for someone who types *a lot*,
> where did you buy yours?  Also, if you do happen to have an old IBM
> Model M lying around that is unused, I'd be willing to pay a
> reasonable price for it.
I have used old spring keyboards and my memory is that they were very noisy.

Personally I switched to using a dvorak keyboard layout many years ago
when I was getting slight pains from typing.  That transition made far
more difference than changing keyboards ever has.  However it does
impact on your productivity in the short term (~2 months) as you relearn
how to type.

I investigated cordless keyboards recently with a preference for
bluetooth models.  I ended up with a Logitech Wave keyboard as part of a
wave pro mouse, keyboard combo.  It works well for me though there is a
slight rearrangement of the home/end keys which I prefer but it makes
the work transition a little frustrating.  In general there aren't any
good bluetooth keyboards, they all use a usb thing.  The Logitech I
chose was one of the few which advertised a decent encryption scheme, I
purchased it at the computer fair for well below recommended retail.

David