[clug] [OT] quest for keyboards

Andreas Bauer baueran at rsise.anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 1 14:59:21 MST 2010

Dear List,

Slightly OT, I know, but then again, a lot of hacking unites us in
some sense, doesn't it?  I'm on a quest for the best keyboard I can
get my hands on, and would like your opinion.

Recently, I have read a lot about the Ubicomp and Das Keyboard models,
which use a buckling spring, which, supposedly, makes typing quite an
experience.  Unfortunately, their price (and (un)availability) prevent
me from just giving them a try. (> 150 AUD for a keyboard, come on!)

In recent years I have been quite satisfied with MS Natural Keyboards,
but despite their comfortable layout, the keys themselves have little
to no "clicking point"/resistance.

So, what keyboards can you recommend for someone who types *a lot*,
where did you buy yours?  Also, if you do happen to have an old IBM
Model M lying around that is unused, I'd be willing to pay a
reasonable price for it (not AUD 150 :-), just to see if those
buckling springs do make a difference.  Are there modern keyboards
using springs?

Many thanks for some pointers and hints already,

Andi.

--
Andreas Bauer,
baueran at rsise.anu.edu.au,