[clug] packet management on multi-homed network

Andrew andrew at donehue.net
Thu Dec 30 00:19:49 MST 2010

Thanks to the replies so far-  i'll try and elaborate some more.

TOS is a field marking you can use (modify the QoS value within a packet
which has the benefit of being able to pass between devices)

The system in mind uses BGP already. To give an idea of the scale, not
huge but not too simple either. An AS with two BGP routers (ibgp in
between), 2 transit links, 2 peering links at the initial stage (likely
4-6 total before too long).

NAT isn't an option (there is a public address pool in use, so the
packets do not have to go back out the same interface they arrived on).

Classifying on the way in easy (just the way out that creates the
headache (when the bandwidth management is done before the path out)).

I haven't been to a clug meeting in a long time, I might have to trundle
along to the next one to draw a diagram.

Cheers,