[clug] Using GIT as a 'records system'

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Dec 22 17:43:46 MST 2010

23/12/2010 8:47 AM, "steve jenkin" <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> haven't FGFI this yet, thought the group might give me some clues...
> [because I've never used GIT or read the manuals in detail. have a hazy
> overview only.]
>
> Can GIT allow fine-grained access control to specific trees/sets of files?

Inside git? No. Those details are not even possible to represent in standard
git.

Using multiple repositories and controlling access through those might work,
but I bet that doesn't meet your needs.

If you added the extra metadata through a trusted process and denied users
any access to the stored data it would make a wonderful backend to build
such a system on though.

Regards,
       Daniel