[clug] Using GIT as a 'records system'

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Dec 22 17:00:15 MST 2010

On 23/12/2010, at 08:47 , steve jenkin wrote:

> Can GIT allow fine-grained access control to specific trees/sets of files?
>
> It can obviously store files and add/delete/change 'pages',
> but another essential element of 'Record Management Systems' is access
> control...
>
> The ordinary worker can't be allowed to see the confidential CEO
> correspondence... (Mergers, downsizing, …)

It sounds like you want a content management system, not just a version control system. Git and Subversion are designed for cooperative projects, they have no access control built into them.

There's an extensive list here: http://www.cmsreview.com/OpenSource/directory.html

I know nothing about CMSes in general, so I can't really advise you any further than that.

Alex